If you need to multitask on your phone, there’s an easier way than swiping between apps. Learn how to split screen on Android instead.
If you’re an Android owner and multitasker, something you can do is split the screen on your Android device. The split-screen feature on Android allows you to use two apps simultaneously. So, for example, you can use split screen to keep Messages and Discord open on the same screen.
Maybe you need to get some light word processing or emails done and want YouTube on the other screen. Whichever apps you need, knowing how to split screen on Android provides a responsive experience—all without the need for a dual-screen device.
This guide will show you how to use split screen on your Android.
How to Split Screen on Android
Note: To use the split screen feature, you need to be running Android 10 or higher. Also, each device manufacturer applies its own interface theme to Android. The steps for split screen on Android are similar, but the experience will vary between phones. For example, using split screen mode on a Samsung phone differs from a Google Pixel.
To split screen on Android, do the following:
- Open the first app you want to split and then open the second. Make sure the first app is available in the Recent overview screen.
- Tap the Recents button in the lower-right corner of the navigation bar.
- The two apps you launched will appear.
- Long-press one of the apps you want to put in split screen and tap Split screen from the menu that appears.
- The first app will pin to the top in a windowed mode, and the other will display below it.
- Tap the app below the pinned app—in this example, it’s DuckDuckGo. The two apps will then share equal parts of the split screen view.
- You can adjust the size of the windows by adjusting the divider in the middle and moving it up or down on the screen.
- To switch apps, tap the Home button. The top app will remain pinned, and you can choose a different app from the home screen.
- The app will launch, and the split screen mode will be divided equally. Again, move the divider up or down to adjust the size of the windows.
- To close out of split screen mode, drag the divider to the top or bottom of the screen—only one app will remain on the screen.
How to Split Screen on a Samsung Galaxy
You can also split screen on Android if you’re using a Samsung Galaxy smartphone. The steps do vary, however, as Samsung phones use a slightly different Android interface.
To use split screen mode on a Samsung phone, use the following steps:
- Launch an app and tap the Recents button in the lower-left corner.
- Long press the app’s icon.
- Tap on Open in split screen view when the menu appears.
- Samsung will give you the option to open the second app you want to be in split screen mode.
That’s all there is to it. The split screen experience on Android is essentially the same as on other phones. So you can swipe the divider up and down to resize the screens. Swipe the divider up or down to close out of split screen mode.
Multitasking on Android
The split screen experience on Android 10 or above is helpful when you need to work on more than one app at a time. While you can use the feature on smaller devices, the best experience is on a phone with a lot of screen real estate.
For an even better multitasking experience, check out how to connect your Android phone to Windows 11. If you’re running low on space, learn how to find which apps take up the most room.
And if you’re running the latest version of Windows, check out how to run Android apps on Windows 11.